Wednesday 30 October 2013

Kelvin Okafor: My drawing inspiration

This man is the reason i started drawing realistic portraits. 

This is the link to his blog: http://kelvinokaforart.blogspot.co.uk

This is the link to his web page: http://www.kelvinokaforart.com


Kelvin Okafor is a British artist who draws very lifelike portraits of ordinary people and celebrities using pencil and charcoal. He was educated at St Ignatius' College in Enfield and Middlesex University, graduating in Fine Art in 2009. He lives in Tottenham, London.

I've researched this artist and viewed much of his work on the internet because he does what i would like to do and he does it well. When i first saw one of his pieces i was amazed and i found it hard to believe that it wasn't a black and white photograph, this is the reaction i wanted to re-create in viewers of my art work. I love how he manages to create such huge contrast and between light and it's complete absence, just using pencils to create such dark values and also create the illusion of light and reflection. Also how accurate he draws each inch of skin and the quality and detail is so consistent throughout the entire drawing with no sign of laziness or boredom even though a single one of his drawings could and often does take over 100 hours to complete. 

I plan on greatly improving my skills during this course and produce some very realistic portraits after more in depth research on methods and the process and just practicing, taking my time and bring the realistic lifelike feel to my drawings.

The images below are all pencil drawings done by this artist.




This drawing of Tinie Tempah was the first i ever saw by this artist, which caused my obsession with his work and with realism on a whole.




No comments:

Post a Comment