Wednesday 2 October 2013

Textiles: My first work- Introduction to textiles

In our Textiles class we've been experimenting with different methods of creating art. I first used a sewing machine in this lesson, in an attempt to draw a picture using that method of stitch, i found it quite difficult for a short while, whilst adapting to use the machine. Despite initial difficulty i did enjoy this and found it very different and interesting, mainly because i enjoy pencil drawing, using scattered or layered individual marks to express light areas or the absence of light wether it be in the shadows of a face or in a scene.

I've also in my second lesson experimented with a technique called Batik, which was unheard of to me until that day, using hot wax on a material to separate areas designated for different colours of paint and even to crack the dried wax and dip the material in paint to create an affect similar to dip dyeing. I used Batik to create a colourful Lion and i love the way my first attempt turned out so i very much intend to create something beautiful along the length of the course using these techniques as i love the affect and look you can create using them individually or combining these techniques, such as the work of Jenny Belton combing different textile techniques.

My work (first attempts):




No comments:

Post a Comment